2021 Annual Report
2021 continued to offer us challenges due to the limitations imposed in response to the COVID virus. Through the efforts of our facility staff, committee members and other volunteers, however, we were able to accomplish some project work along with our routine annual duties of caring for our property. The following improvements were completed with the contributions provided by the congregation, through the annual Building and Grounds budget, volunteer labor and past budget savings.
- Recommended an update to the Church’s Memorial Policy and accepted the gift of a bench (North Building lobby) in memory of John Jardine, long time Session member here at Grace.
- Completed the first phase of a security upgrade to the Grace system, by replacing the phone system and upgrading the interconnectivity of the phone system and the fire alarm system.
- Continued our ongoing project to replace all interior lighting with LED lighting.
- Continued to work on our boiler to improve the heating efficiency within the church.
- Repaired the air circulation system with the church Sanctuary.
- Coordinated and partially funded the construction of a “Ga-Ga” Ball Pit in the recreation field adjacent to the Picnic Pavilion by Sam Malinky, for his Eagle Scout Project.
- Replaced the roof over the Sanctuary and Nursery Wing of the South Building.
- Replaced the water faucets with auto on/off faucets to conserve water.
- Continued to improve the landscaping in front of the Connector Hall and the Multi-purpose Room.
The total cost of the above projects and the weekly maintenance activities was $25,556.85 from the annual Building and Grounds Budget of $31,050 (9/1/19 to 8/31/20) and $33,768 from the Project Reserve Savings Account, which is unspent Building and Grounds funds saved from previous years. In the last two Fiscal Years we have been able to save nearly $9,000 for the Project Reserve Account by not needing to spend much on snow removal.
As part of the transition, the $39,296 in the Church Budget for utilities, van and insurance was transferred to the committee for management. In the past Fiscal Year spending for these items totaled $34,938.56 for a savings of $4,357.44. These unspent funds were left in the church’s general fund. In addition to these funds, the committee also oversees the Project Reserve Savings Account with a current balance of $41,579.81, the Future Growth Building Fund, which has a current balance of $46,318.19 and the Church Emergency Contingency Savings Account, which has a current balance of $47,228.74.
In addition to our normal maintenance and our annual projects, the committee continued to administer two ongoing programs to improve our church and our site:
- “Adopt an Island Program” Despite COVID, our volunteer landscapers continued their work to beautify our parking lot with flowers and general maintenance. Some areas remain available for additional volunteers.
- The “Future Growth Building Program” The committee continued to receive contributions toward our future Master Plan projects throughout 2021. In 2021 the committee completed construction of a new storage room on the second floor of the South Building and the final design of the porte-cochere (driveway cover) at the North Building entrance. We are still awaiting the City of Dover approval for construction of the porte-cochere in 2022.
Mike Arthur continued to serve as our part time Facility Manager and Bob Bradley continued in his role as part time custodian for the church, with both performing building and equipment repairs and weekly building care responsibilities. Questions on Building and Grounds projects can be directed to Mike Arthur or any of our committee members; Holly Pfeifer, John Tullis, Jay Pearson, Robert Jones, Dave Brown, Fred Janssen, Dona Kauth, Bill Spady, Greg Eroe and Ray Harbeson
(Chair). New Committee Members or Building and Grounds email advisors are also welcome at any time. Please contact Mike Arthur, Ray Harbeson or one of our pastors, if interested.