2022 Annual Report
After the challenges imposed by the COVID virus, 2022 was a return to normal operation of our buildings and site. Through the efforts of our facility staff, committee members and other volunteers, we were able to accomplish some project work deferred during COVID and were able to return to a normal schedule for our routine duties of caring for our property. The following improvements were completed with the contributions provided by the congregation, through the annual Building and Grounds Budget, volunteer labor and past budget savings.
- Purchased and installed a new larger capacity ice machine in the church kitchen.
- Purchased and installed a new ADA compliant water fountain in the North Building.
- Painted the first-floor hallways in the North Building.
- Installed gutters on the church Picnic Pavilion to eliminate water ponding around the perimeter of the structure.
- Completed the second phase of the security system upgrade to the South Building by having electronic locks installed on the external doors.
- Continued to improve the landscaping in front of the Connector Hall and the Multi-purpose Room.
- Contracted for crack sealing our parking lot to prevent water infiltration under the lot.
- Continued our ongoing project to replace all interior lighting with LED lighting.
- Initiated negotiations on a new insurance policy for the church. The old church insurance policy expired on November 1, 2022.
The total cost of the above projects and the weekly maintenance activities was $26,502.65 from the annual Building and Grounds Budget of $36,300 (9/1/21 to 8/31/22) and $9,157 from the Project Reserve Savings Account, which is unspent Building and Grounds funds saved from previous years.
The Building and Grounds Committee also manages the Church Budget for utilities and insurance. In the past Fiscal Year spending for these items totaled $33,105.12 for a budget savings of $9,494.88. These unspent funds were left in the church’s general fund. In addition to these funds, the committee also oversees the Project Reserve Savings Account with a current balance of $62,385.61, the Future Growth Building Fund, which has a current balance of $59,602.39 and the Church Emergency Contingency Savings Account, which has a current balance of $50,000.
In addition to our normal maintenance and our annual projects, the committee continued to administer two ongoing programs to improve our church and our site:
- “Adopt an Island Program” Despite COVID, our volunteer landscapers continued their work to beautify our parking lot with flowers and general maintenance. Some areas remain available for additional volunteers.
- The “Future Growth Building Program” The committee continued to receive contributions toward our future Master Plan projects throughout 2022. Despite not hearing any response to our request for site and project approval for our porte-cochere from the City of Dover for over a year, the committee solicited bids for the project. There was very little interest in our project and material costs were at all-time highs. As a result, the only price we received was over $120,000 for a project we originally estimated to cost $60,000. In December 2022 we did finally get a response from the City of Dover, and they stated there was nothing in the City Code that would allow them to extend our Master Plan Approval. As a result, we have a meeting scheduled in January 2023 to find out what process we will need to go through to advance our project when we have sufficient funding.
Mike Arthur continued to serve as our part time Facility Manager and Bob Bradley continued in his role as part time custodian for the church, with both performing building and equipment repairs and weekly building care responsibilities. Questions on Building and Grounds projects can be directed to Mike Arthur or any of our committee members; Holly Pfeifer, John Tullis, Jay Pearson, Robert Jones, Dave Brown, Fred Janssen, Greg Eroe, James Markoya and Ray Harbeson (Chair). New Committee Members or Building and Grounds email advisors are also welcome at any time. Please contact Mike Arthur, Ray Harbeson or one of our pastors, if interested.