2020 Annual Report
2020 has been a difficult year. Due to the limitations imposed in response to the COVID virus, some of our 2020 projects had to be delayed. Through the efforts of our facility staff, committee members and other volunteers, however, work has been accomplished. The following improvements were completed with the contributions provided by the congregation, through the annual Building and Grounds Budget, volunteer labor and past budget savings.
- Reconfigured church facilities to accommodate worship under mandated COVID restrictions.
- Replaced 32 defective fire sprinkler heads in the North Building.
- Painted the interior of Room 102 and our maintenance storage sheds.
- Continued our ongoing project to replace all interior lighting with LED lighting.
- Marked visitor parking spaces in the main parking lot.
- Removed several trees along the south property line damaged by storms.
- Improved the landscaping in front of the Connector Hall and the Multi-purpose Room.
- Constructed a new drainage swale along the McKee access drive to improve drainage.
- Upgraded all church thermostats to wireless programmable thermostats.
- Repaired exterior lighting damaged by vandalism.
- Repaired boiler burners to improve heating within the church.
- Wrote a job description for our Custodian position.
The total cost of the above projects and the weekly maintenance activities was $22,380.27 from the annual Building and Grounds Budget of $29,300 (9/1/19 to 8/31/20) and $10,760 from the Project Reserve Savings Account, which is unspent Building and Grounds funds saved from previous years.
The Building and Grounds Committee previously managed an annual maintenance and repair budget of $29,300. The remaining $42,406 listed under Building and Grounds in the Church Budget Summary for utilities, van and insurance, previously overseen by the church staff, has now been transferred to the committee for the future, as part of the staff transition. The committee also oversees the Project Reserve Savings Account with a current balance of $41.934.78, the Future Growth Building Fund, which has a current balance of $28,549.13 and the Church Emergency Contingency Savings Account, which has a current balance of $37, 228.74.
In addition to our normal maintenance and our annual projects, the committee continued to administer two ongoing programs to improve our church and our site:
- “Adopt an Island Program” Despite COVID, our volunteer landscapers continued their work to beautify our parking lot with flowers and general maintenance. Some areas remain available for additional volunteers.
- The “Future Growth Building Program” The committee continued to receive contributions toward our future Master Plan projects throughout 2020. In 2021 the committee hopes to construct a new storage room on the second floor of the South Building and the porta-cochere (driveway cover) at the North Building entrance.
Mike Arthur continues to serve as our part time Facility Manager and Bob Bradley continues in his role as part time custodian for the church. Mike and Bob performed a number of building and equipment repairs (too numerous to list) along with their weekly building care responsibilities, which this year included additional work to protect us from the COVID virus.
Questions on Building and Grounds projects can be directed to Mike Arthur (Facility Manager) or any of our committee members; Holly Pfeifer, John Tullis, Jay Pearson, Robert Jones, Dave Brown, Fred Janssen, Dona Kauth and Ray Harbeson (Chair). New Committee Members or Building and Grounds email advisors are welcome at any time. Please contact Mike Arthur, Ray Harbeson or one of our pastors, if interested.